Get email updates
SpecialConditions-L is an electronic mailing list that distributes notification of road closures, construction delays, or other unusual events on campus. To subscribe, send an e-mail message to:
the body of the message should read, "join" (without the quotes).
For more information on mailing lists, including instructions for unsubscribing, visit the E-lists at Cornell pages.
* indicates a high-priority posting.
Garden Avenue between Campus Road and Tower Road will be closed Friday, August 22, 2014 from 8 am - 5 pm during New Student Check In at Barton Hall.
Barricades, signs and staff will be stationed at both ends of Garden Avenue to assist with traffic. Emergency access will be maintained at all times. Access to the parking lot between Barton Hall and ILR Conference Center will be maintained from Tower Road.
On behalf of the Fall Opening Committee, we are writing to remind you that 3,700 new students and their families will be arriving at Cornell on Friday, August 22. With this will come the inevitable influx of traffic and congestion as they try to find their way around campus.
We have coordinated with local and state officials to create a traffic plan which will minimize the impact of Fall Opening. In addition, we are asking for the cooperation of all faculty and staff. Please consider the following as you make your transportation and parking plans:
- Allow staff who ask to take a vacation or personal day on Friday, August 22 to do so, as long as your staffing and workload permits.
- Avoid arranging deliveries of equipment or supplies on this day.
- Avoid driving on campus, if possible. Campus Road and the North and West Campus areas will be extremely congested.
- If your staff must come to North or West Campus, please be advised that special traffic patterns have been set up for the day in these areas.
- Encourage the use of TCAT buses and car-pools. TCAT schedules can be found at: www.tcatbus.com
- Jessup Road will only be open for move-in traffic.
- "A" Lot will only be open for new students and their parents ("A" permit holders will be notified separately about alternate parking).
A section of the south-bound lane of Campus Road between Judd Falls Road and Tower Road will be reduced to one lane from Thursday, August 5 through Wednesday, October 1, 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., to install a new storm sewer line.
Signs and flaggers will be in place to assist with traffic.
Roadway and sidewalk work taking place on Central Avenue will impact parking for U and AP permit holders.
The parking improvements are necessary in order to meet ADA accessibility standards, and will require that all of the handicap-accessible parking spaces and aisles be temporarily moved to the north, spanning the parking lot from McGraw Hall to the south towards Morrill Hall. The spaces currently signed for accessible parking will be closed during the renovation.
A sidewalk improvement project will take place on the west-side of Central Avenue, closing a small section of sidewalk leading to the Libe Slope overlook at Uris Library.
Visit the Campus Maps page (http://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/parking/maps/default.cfm) for map of the area and links to alternate parking options. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
In preparation for the University Health Service project, the following closures will occur to facilitate utility work:
· Monday, June 23 and Friday, June 30: Campus Road from the Gannett Health Service parking lot to College Avenue will periodically be reduce to one lane for the installation of new gas lines.
Access to parking lots will remain open at all times. Flaggers will assist with traffic during the lane closures.
· Monday, June 23 - Monday, July 7: The sidewalk on the south side of Campus Road between Anabel Taylor parking lot and College Avenue will be closed to pedestrians.
· Tuesday, July 8 - Thursday, August 21: The sidewalk on the north side of Campus Road from the entrance to Gannett Health Service parking lot to Ho Plaza will be closed to pedestrians.
Detour signs will be in place to assist with pedestrian traffic.
Parking availability in the Hoy Road garage will be reduced due to planned maintenance, scheduled to begin June 16, 2014 and last until late August. The work will be performed in four stages; each phase will last three to four weeks.
· Phase one begins June 16, and will close parking levels 3, 4, and 5 and the north entrance (Campus Road). Access to levels 1 and 2 will be maintained from the south entrance (Hoy Road).
· Phase two will impact levels 1, 2, and 3; dates will be announced as phase one nears completion.
The metered area on the ground floor will be closed and the spaces converted to permit-only parking. Visitors should be directed to a parking and information booth for their short-term parking options.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the eastbound changes listed below, the westbound (inbound) Bradfield Hall bus stop will be relocated to Kennedy Hall or Dairy Bar (across the street) now tentatively through Aug. 21.
Due to construction on Tower Road, between Wing Drive and Weill Hall, traffic will be reduced to one lane (for westbound only) impacting several TCAT routes effective Tues., May 27, tentatively through Thurs., Aug. 7.
During that time period, the following outbound-only routes will be affected: 20, 21, 31, 37, 40, 41, 43, 51, 52, 53, 65, 67, 75, 81 and 82. Route 36 will be affected on its two morning inbound trips.
Bus Stop Locations for EASTBOUND TCAT Routes
· The Corson Mudd bus stop will be relocated to Barton Hall across from the Teagle Hall bus stop on Garden Ave.
· The Bradfield Hall bus stop will be relocated to Bartels Hall (at the staircase) on Campus Rd.
· The Dairy Bar bus stop will be relocated to the corner of Campus Rd at Wing Drive (near Riley Robb Hall).
For the last two weeks of the project, tentatively Thurs. Aug. 7 through Thurs., Aug. 21, this portion of Tower Road will be closed to all traffic with both inbound and outbound bus stops relocated to stops as listed above.
Beginning May 27, 2014, the Tower Road Safety Project will reduce Tower Road to one-lane from Wing Drive to Weill Hall, allowing westbound traffic only. The road will be returned to two-way traffic on August 21, 2014.
Visit http://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/announcement_detail.cfm?pageid=156 for more information about the project, traffic patterns, and alternate parking options.
A section of sidewalk on East Avenue between the Statler main entrance and Campus Road will be closed Wednesday, May 21 through Tuesday, August 19, 2014 for construction work on the main entrance.
Beginning Tuesday, May 27, the sidewalk closure will be extended from the main entrance to the Statler the bus stop. Barricades and signs will be in place to direct pedestrians to the sidewalk on the west side of East Avenue.
The Klarman Hall construction project necessitated the closing of the southbound lane of East Avenue until Spring of 2015. The northbound lane of East Avenue is designated for use by buses, bicycles and emergency vehicles only. All other through traffic has been detoured using West Ave.
To stop general traffic from traveling through the limited access portion of East Avenue, traffic control gates have been installed at both ends of the lane. Only bicycles, emergency vehicles, and vehicles equipped with a transponder to raise the gate will be able to travel the roadway.
If you have any questions regarding the traffic-control gates, please contact Transportation Services at email@example.com.
The construction of Klarman Hall will necessitate the closing of the southbound lane of East Avenue to all traffic from January 8, 2014 until April 19, 2015. The northbound lane of East Avenue will be available for buses, bicycles, and emergency vehicles only, with traffic alternating southbound and northbound. All other through traffic will be detoured using West Avenue (see diagrams below).
Access will be maintained to Lincoln Hall from the north and to the AD White House from the south. Project flag persons will monitor the detour points at the start of the lane closure to assist in the transition to the new traffic patterns. Cornell Police will enforce the bus- and bike-only traffic rule on the restricted portion of East Avenue.
If you have questions about the Klarman Hall project contact Gary Wilhelm at 607 254-8022 or visit the website at http://as.cornell.edu/klarman-hall/.
Traffic related questions should be directed to Transportation Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.