"We excel in delivering research discoveries that make a difference."
Robert A. Buhrman, Senior Vice Provost for Research
The strategic plan for research at Cornell can be summed up simply: Be the best at what we undertake to do. The research enterprise supports university research priorities: the New Life Sciences; cross-college collaborations; and enabling research areas--computing and information sciences, genomics, advanced materials, and nanoscience. We build on our strengths when creating programs, recruiting faculty, purchasing equipment, and supporting interdisciplinary programs. Cornell research is committed to knowledge transfer and engages in technology transfer and economic development activities that benefit local, regional, national, and international constituents.
Project aims to produce buildable, bendable, biological materials
Primate tests show vaccine prevents drug from reaching the brain
Cornell led collaboration to build world's largest submillimeter telescope
Cornell research works with farmers to identify successful strategies
New research may have major impact on future paleontological studies
Marks of Excellence
Historian Fredrik Logevall, the John S. Knight Professor of International Studies and director of the Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies, was awarded the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for his acclaimed book, 'Embers of War: The Fall of an Empire and the Making of America's Vietnam.'
The Pulitzer citation calls the book, which begins in 1919 and ends in 1959, 'a balanced, deeply researched history of how, as French colonial rule faltered, a succession of American leaders moved step by step down a road toward full-blown war.'
More Research Features
The Life Sciences webpage serves as a portal for news and events; academic programs; research endeavors; and facilities, lab and partner agencies.
- Research Centers, Institutes, Labs and Programs
- More than 100 interdisciplinary research centers flourish at Cornell
Life Sciences at Cornell
- Links to academic programs, research, events, and collaborations in the multi-disciplinary initiative
- CALS Research Portal
- Information about researchers, grants, projects, events, and facilities in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- CIS Research
- Focuses on research in computer science, operations research, human computer interaction, and the social sciences of computing
- Engineering Research Portal
- Information about research, events and partnership opportunities in the College of Engineering
- Undergraduate Research
- Resources, advice, and organizations for undergraduate researchers at Cornell
The Research Division
- Office of the Vice Provost for Research
- Shapes Cornell's research agenda, coordinates large-scale research activity, and negotiates with external sponsors
- Cornell Center for Technology, Enterprise, and Commercialization
- Manages intellectual property, licenses technology, and promotes economic development
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Administers sponsored programs, helps prepare grant proposals, and negotiates awards
- Center for Animal Resources and Education
- Ensures animal welfare and facilitates research and teaching; provides animal care and vet services
- Office of Research Integrity and Assurance
- Manages Cornell's research compliance programs, supports IRB, IACUC, and IBC committees
- Research Administration Information Services
- Provides administrative, technical, and training support for research IT systems
Office of the Vice Provost for Research
222 Day Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853