NATURAL BEAUTY
close window
4 of 11
Stewart Falls
Summer
QuickTime 5.0 required
click & drag photo

Preservation of the university's green spaces was proposed as early as 1877, but it wasn't until the 1930s that administrators took any action beyond the issuing of reports. In 1935, members of the Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps cleared land east of the College of Agriculture, along Fall Creek.

The corps also constructed stone paths and stairs through the gorges, allowing visitors to appreciate their natural beauty without risking life and limb.

The gorges open in spring, as soon as the danger of ice-slicked stairs and falling icicles has passed, and remain accessible through the fall, often as late as Thanksgiving.

Panorama: WPG