In 2000, the Cornell Library's Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections received funding to support the Andrew Dickson White Architectural Photographs Collection. White (1832-1918), the first president of Cornell University, established the collection by donating several thousand images from his personal architectural library.

He collected photographs of medieval British, French, German, and Italian architecture as well as images of Near Eastern and classical structures by important photographers and photographic studios.