Upstate. Downstate. One Big Red.
With deep roots in Ithaca and a rapidly expanding footprint in New York City, no other institution connects upstate and downstate New York quite like Cornell. Cornellians have more opportunities for learning, discovery and engagement than ever before.
Planning travel to Ithaca or New York City?
Find resources to make a single visit or regular trips easier and more effective.
Traveling between Ithaca and New York City has never been more convenient. Below are a range of options for getting around either location.
- Cornell’s Campus-to-Campus Bus Service – Exceptional, express service between Cornell’s Ithaca and NYC campuses, seven days a week.
- Rental Vehicles and Charters – Cornell-approved options for renting or chartering vehicles for faculty and staff travel.
- Personal Vehicle Use – Requirements for driving personal vehicles for university business.
- Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport – Offering one-stop connectivity to most major U.S. cities, including NYC.
- Airlines – Access to Cornell-negotiated air travel discounts for flights on Delta and American Airlines.
- Ithaca Carshare – Providing 24/7 access to vehicles on an hourly basis.
- Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit (TCAT) – Local bus service connecting campus, Ithaca and the surrounding area. Faculty and staff ride for free with their Cornell ID.
New York City
- Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) – Bus, subway and commuter rail options serving the NYC metro area.
- NJ TRANSIT – Bus, train and light rail service between New Jersey and NYC.
- NYC Ferry – Offering service to the Cornell Tech campus on Roosevelt Island as well as parts of Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn.
- Roosevelt Island Tramway – Fast, convenient service between Roosevelt Island and Manhattan.